If the past two years have taught us anything, it’s that travel can be unpredictable. From lockdowns to shutdowns to travel bans to health concerns, there are a large number of potential reasons that planned vacations can be interrupted or involuntarily canceled.
While it’s not fun to imagine your vacation plans getting canceled on you, it is important to prepare for that possibility — even if it’s unlikely to happen. That’s why trip protection should be an important piece of any vacation plan.
Outdoorsy is proud to announce that we now offer trip protection via our partner company, Roamly. What this means is that you’ll now be able to get insurance that provides you peace of mind in case of trip interruption, trip delay, and even medical need.
How does Outdoorsy’s trip protection work?
Our trip protection — provided by Roamly — is offered on a per-trip basis, meaning it is designed to cover you for a specific trip. Unlike car insurance that covers you whenever you’re driving, trip protection is designed to provide affordable and temporary coverage for the duration of your vacation.
Trip protection is an add-on, meaning it’s an optional coverage that you can add to your Outdoorsy rental period. Even though it’s optional, we think the benefits and affordable cost make it a wise choice for any vacation. In fact, Roamly trip protection can be purchased for any type of vacation. Whether you plan to rent an RV with Outdoorsy, stay in hotels, or even travel internationally, Roamly’s trip protection is here to help.
Roamly’s trip protection does not need to be added on right when you book your trip either, so you’ll have time to decide if trip protection is right for you. You can reserve your vacation and still get trip protection right up to the point of trip departure.
What does Outdoorsy’s trip protection cover?
When you add Roamly’s trip protection to any trip, you’ll benefit from all of these included coverages:
- Trip cancellation — Roamly’s trip cancellation coverage will reimburse you for any unused, non-refundable, prepaid, covered trip expenses if you can’t take your trip due to an unforeseen covered reason.
Let’s say you plan a cross-country van trip and rent a rig on Outdoorsy. A week before you’re set to go, your boss calls you and says they have to cancel your vacation because they need everyone to work.
That would really stink, but it would stink even more if you couldn’t get any of your money back! Because you purchased Roamly’s trip protection to insure any airfare/non-refundable rental fees, you can make an insurance claim and receive 100% reimbursement for any of your pre-paid non-refundable trip costs.
- Trip interruption — What could be worse than having the vacation of a lifetime interrupted by an event like severe weather, a fender bender, or other unfortunate stuff that can put the brakes on the vacay? Not being able to get any of your money back, that’s what!
But with Roamly’s trip protection, you wouldn’t have to worry about the money side because they’d provide reimbursement for unused, non-refundable, prepaid trip expenses if your trip is interrupted for a covered reason.
For example, let’s say you were driving to a music festival in Boulder, Colorado where you’d also rented a trailer for the concert. On your way to Boulder, you get rear-ended and have to stay in another town for a few days while your vehicle gets fixed — causing you to miss your rental window and the music festival.
Roamly’s trip interruption feature would kick in in this case to cover the trailer rental fee and any other covered non-refundable items you’d already paid for as part of the trip.
- Trip delay — As the name implies, Roamly’s trip protection includes a feature to compensate you for extra expenses incurred by trip delays.
In the example above, if you got rear-ended on your way to Boulder, you’d incur extra expenses such as hotels, food, and transportation in another city. With Roamly’s trip delay coverage, you would be reimbursed for any covered expenses incurred during your delay — up to $600 per insured.
- Medical evacuation and repatriation of remains — If you take vacations abroad, it can be extremely expensive if you are injured and need to be flown home on a medical evacuation flight. Roamly’s trip protection provides up to $50,000 per insured in case you need to be medically evacuated during your vacation.
For example, let’s say you take a trip to Joshua Tree National Park. While rock climbing there, you fall and suffer a compound fracture. The local rangers get you to a regional hospital where you’re stabilized. Once it’s determined you’re fit to fly, Roamly coordinates a flight to your home area under the Medical Repatriation Benefit.
While we never like to think about this, trip protection also provides important coverage in the event that a traveler loses their life while on a trip. In this case, trip protection kicks in to send remains back so that friends and family members can focus on the funeral.
- Baggage Delay — Few things are worse than starting your vacation off without your bag. With Roamly’s trip protection, if your bags are delayed for more than 24 hours, you’ll get reimbursed for clothing, toiletries, and other items you had to buy to make up for the delayed bag.
- Accidental Death and Dismemberment — This is another one that’s not fun to think about but important to have. If you are injured by a Common Carrier (e.g. plane, train, bus, etc.) during your trip, trip protection will provide coverage for the injuries you sustain.
How can I add Outdoorsy’s trip protection to my trip?
You can add trip protection to your Outdoorsy RV trip up to the time of departure.
That means you have plenty of time and flexibility in deciding to add trip protection to your vacation. You can add trip protection to your Outdoorsy trip in the following ways:
1.) Once your trip is reserved, click into the trip details section of your reservation and scroll to “additional protections”. From there, you can opt to add Roamly’s trip protection for the length of your trip.
2.) Coming soon: You can add trip protection at checkout for your Outdoorsy rental.
3.) Call Roamly to secure trip protection up to the point of departure — 877.725.1245
We’re proud to partner with Roamly to offer trip protection for Outdoorsy trips and beyond because we believe that trip protection is a highly important and affordable add-on for any trip you might take. It’s always frustrating when something happens to your vacation that’s out of your control. While you can’t control the uncontrollable, trip protection does allow you to control whether or not you lose money and peace of mind during your vacation. Roamly’s trip protection is a top-notch add-on that noon should be without.